View Single Post
Old 06-06-2007, 14:12   #28
jambutty
Apprentice Geriatric

Question Re: electric wheelchairs

After reading this thread I despair. Such selfishness! You should be thoroughly ashamed of yourselves and thank whatever god you believe in that it is not you in such a vehicle.

I accept that there will be some cantankerous old gits but you get far more cantankerous drivers on the road and even cantankerous pedestrians who seem to think that they own the pavement. Pram pushers are a prime example.

Incidentally it is perfectly legal for an Electric Wheelchair user to travel on the road and it is up to other road users to watch where they are going. The same applies to pedestrians. We are all supposed to look where we are going and take steps to avoid obstacles.

However there should be some sort of scheme that ensures that a new Electric Wheelchair user is given basic tuition, much like a new motor cycle rider is. Most vendors will give basic instructions but only on how to operate the vehicle and not how to actually use it.

As for all those complaining about them. It could be you in years to come and if it is your view will change.