View Single Post
Old 19-06-2007, 17:56   #16
Acrylic-bob
God Member

Re: Artists in Accy?

"Common sense" is what people in common would agree: that which they "sense" in common as their common natural understanding. It has no connotation of prejudice, collected or otherwise, and it is not limited by age.

I think that you are, perhaps, mistaking it for the word "Pretention" and its conjugations; a surprisingly common failing in teenagers who believe that they know everything but who, on examination, turn out to know very little of any substance, breadth or depth.

I am, generally speaking, quite in favour of people expressing themselves, but do we really have to trawl through drivel of this sort...

" I wanted people to have to think about what I was portraying. Not every piece is as simple as it is first percieved. I wanted to capture pain and the sorrow that we often overlook when we consider notions of freedom.

We have the freedom to protect ourselves, protect our homes, protect our families. So often in the media recently there are stories of children committing gun crimes, carrying weaponry and so forth. Their misconception of need to protect often leads to the physicial pain of the individual, the pain of the friends and family, the pain their mother feels stronger than anyone that her baby has been slaughtered at the hands of another who practiced so called rights of protecting themselves."

At school I was taught that it was generally a good idea to "Think before you ink" I am certain a good deal of thinking has been put into the various ideas that make up this "artist's" statement, though sadly I am far from convinced that any of it is the fruit of the "artist's" own thought processes. Trite, obvious, mawkish and self-indulgent are the words that spring most readily to mind.

Art, by its very definition, cannot be taught. If it could then we would all be capable of learning how to do it. I can teach a person how to draw or how to paint, but I cannot teach a person how to create Art. And no amount of fine sounding phrases, angst and overblown handwringing will make juvenile daubing into anything other than what it is.