View Single Post
Old 19-06-2007, 22:46   #281
claytonender

Re: Hyndburn to be axed.

I am with you as well Katex.

I have this sneaking suspicion that Peter Britcliffe thinks the name change is a 'fait accompli'. He has gone about it in the wrong way - making an announcement to the press rather than in a council meeting, is not the correct way to change any policy. Especially one so sensative as renaming the borough. I would like to ask our 'esteemed leader of the council' why he did not include the proposal in the Tory party leaflets before the local election in May. Or did he not want to loose votes by promising to spend an indeterminate amount of money on what is a stupid ill thought out whim.

I am surprised he does not want to call the borough after himself.

The name Hyndburn might not be perfect but it was chosen in 1974 so that none of the local authorities that merged was made to appear to be more important than any other. I am proud to be a resident of both Clayton-le-Moors and Hyndburn, but am not happy at the thought of living in ' Accrington and District'. It makes it sound as though Accrington is more important than the other areas of the borough.

Maybe the name of the borough should be ALTHAM and DISTRICT. As the original parish of Altham probably covered most of the are of the present day borough of Hyndburn.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote