View Single Post
Old 24-06-2007, 22:43   #44
WillowTheWhisp
Resident Waffler

Re: Whitebirk planning application.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
The logical places to me would be to knock down the block that is a sort of triangle to the right of the bus station - one side of Peel St (the Peel Chemist side) across to Blackburn Rd and up to Abbey St. I would then develop that into a better bus station, central square and large market.

This would then open up the route to Warner St and that side of town better and would create far more opportunities for the rest of the the town than those little shops have in that area. Sorry if you own a shop in that area but you've got to be cruel to be kind.
Wow! If I've got you right there Gayle are you including the Baptist Church and the telephone exchange?

We did have a big space in the center of town - it had the old market in it before they got turfed out and that Wilkinson's block got built. I could have thought of better ways of developing that area than building shops which to this day have never been fully occupied all at the same time.

As for the bus station, again we had more room for buses before half of it was comandeered for the market.

The market is now squished into an area far too small and the buses are crowded into a 'bus street' where they don't all fit.

No, I never got a questionaire but I don't think I'd have voted in favour. Even if there was a regular bus service I want to be able to do my shopping in the town not several miles outside. I find it annoying enough to have to go there for the white goods and PC World. In fact I specifically didn't go there for the last 'white goods' purchase but used a local shop in Ossy.

Even Hebden Bridge has lost some of the character that it used to have but it's far more interesting than Accy - it also has an open river running through the middle and some cute little bridges over it. Hint, hint.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote