View Single Post
Old 30-06-2007, 06:08   #51
steeljack
God Member

Re: Accrington Pal's

After re-reading this thread I think I've come to the conclusion that all the memorabila should go into a local museum (maybe a room at Howarth art gallery could be found), I doubt any local members of this group who have personal links to this memorial (Great-grandfathers etc) would like to see it broken up.
But time moves on , lets face it the number of folks who remember and attend VE /VJ day celebrations from WW2, are a dwindling number , and I know the numbers who remember the Armistice of the Great War are even fewer.
Being a 'baby boomer' (born in 1948) I remember the old guys (Grandads etc.) who were gassed in the trenchs and came home (many of whom lived on a pittance of a pension) and we went out in our cub and scout uniforms to honour these and the dead of WW2 every Sunday nearest to November 11th. but the thing is , to expect a modern day 16/17/18 year old (kids born in 1990) to honour these old guys is like expecting us born after WW2 to go back and remember those born in the 1850s and who fought in the Ashanti or Nagaland wars ..........its ancient history to us and todays youth.
Maybe if the original "sign-up" center in downtown Accrington is still standing it maybe it could be converted to an "Alamo" type tourist attraction and the memorabila moved there.
Actually one place springs to mind , if anyone was interested developing a turn of the century (1900) historical center the Church warehouse/wharf would be the ideal pace
just my ramblings ... thanks

seems like an ideal project for "go-get-a-grant" Gayle

Last edited by steeljack; 30-06-2007 at 06:16. Reason: addendum
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote