View Single Post
Old 30-06-2007, 18:46   #107
Less
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: ACCYWEB Meeting Venue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Which precisely illustrates what I mean. During a sporting 'moment' the flag comes out but immediately after we lose, which we invariably do, the flags come down.

Most people would not fly them out of sheer nationalism.
Sorry Gayle, it isn't 'their' flag anymore than it's 'our' flag, If I need to be a patriot whether it be for England or the U.K. I will allow the Welsh, Scots or Irish, (in no specific order), to be proud of their flag, I am proud of the George Cross because it represents England, I am proud of the Union Flag because it represents the U.K. (That is a joining of people no matter which corner of the land they come from), you may have been lazy enough, (as have the rest of us), to allow any of those flags to represent something else, but I recognise them as the difference and also the similarities between our main cultures. I know they are only a pieces of cloth, but they mean so much more to those of us that respect others. If someone I know displays the Irish flag on St Paddies day, I recognise that as celebration, if someone of Asian background displays the flag that they recognise as something to be proud of again I see no problem.

As with the Poppy, wear it with pride, it is there to bring people together in rememberance of past History, not to push us apart.

Can we all get our flags back from the fools that would split us apart?

Less is offline   Reply With Quote