View Single Post
Old 02-07-2007, 20:36   #101
Rosebud

Re: Its Good to Talk

Having just got in from work this is the first opportunity I have had to catch up on what has been posted in this thread. There are a few things that I need to clarify given that it was my question that started this.

1. There was NO malicious or mischevious intent in asking the question. I was genuinely interested to knpw whaty peoples thoughts were on the subject. I saw reference to it in another post the day before and it got me thinking about the concept of free speech and if there were any acceptable boundaries to be applied or if, by doing so, you actually contradict that very freedom.

2. I fully accept Willows point that I misread the initial response ie- wht didn't you post a comment on the original thread- I didnt read this as a question I read it as 'having a go'. As a result I feel I probably did react in a knee jerk defensive manner.

3. What followed however was I felt, and still feel, an OTT attack. I dont think it is ever acceptable to use terms like 'idiot' or to suggest that someone is mentally ill- I dont think I misunderstood or misread these comments I think they were unacceptable.

4. I am guessing that comments like 'been here before' and the suspicion alluded to is suggesting that I have posted previously and been banned- this is not the case. I recognise that you only have my word for it but it is nonetheless the truth.

I have little history to base my experience of Accyweb on but have sympathy with the comments of previous posters. All I can say is that what happened last night felt like a shark attack- one sniff of blood and certain members were in for the kill. Try and read the posts- actually what was written not your perception of the subtext and I am sure you may well see what I mean.

There seems to be a suggestion that the web is meant for lighthearted discussion about fun topics- and if that is the case then that is absolutely fine there is clearly a place for that in the world and I can see the attraction of this type of forum. But does that have to be at the cost of challenging debate of more substantial issues after all everyone can vote with their feet by not posting of the arent interested. It is somewhat ironic that a post of about freedom of speech led to this state of affairs.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote