View Single Post
Old 27-07-2007, 12:19   #5
MargaretR
God Member

Re: Hospital infections

In 1980 I had -
(Wikepedia definition)
"Pseudomembranous colitis is an infection of the colon often, but not always, caused by the bacterium Clostridium difficile. Still, the expression "C. diff colitis" is used almost interchangeably with the more proper term of pseudomembranous colitis. The illness is characterized by offensive-smelling diarrhea, fever, and abdominal pain. It can be severe, causing toxic megacolon, or even fatal"

It was caused by an antibiotic named Lincomycin (now banned),prescribed by a doctor in Italy (for a sore throat). I became ill whilst driving through the Brenner pass on the home, and after consulting a doc in Bavaria and a further 2 days resting up in Switzerland, I ended up spending 3 days in a hospital in central France from where I was medically evacuated home.
The whole episode was traumatic in the extreme (though it did have it's humourous moments). On repatriation I spent 2 weeks in isolation at Park Lee hospital.
The long term effects are still with me to some extent. I had diarrheoa for 20 years! I eventually learned to control it to some extent by eating copious amounts of live yogurt daily. In the past year I have found my cure -- Kefir
Kefir - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Antibiotics kill off all the bacteria in the intestines (good and bad bacteria both). We need the good bacteria to maintain a healthy digestive system. Kefir supplies all the good bacteria better than yogurt, and some of Kefir good bacteria attack the bad stuff (yogurt doesnt).
When your digestive system is not functioning properly all sorts of nasty side effects happen - failure to absorb essential nutrients, overgrowth of candida, - which can cause damage to many of your vital organs.
Therefore I recommend that if you are due to be admitted to hospital where you are likely to be exposed to C-difficile that for several weeks beforehand you load you intestines with as much Kefir as you can drink, so loading up with the good bacteria which will combat it.
In USSR hospitals Kefir is in regular use for all inpatients.
Kefir can be produced easily and cheaply at home and costs only the price of the milk. The 'grains' grow during use, so I can divide my grain to give to you if you want to start producing it. - just PM me (1st come 1st served)

Last edited by MargaretR; 27-07-2007 at 12:21.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote