View Single Post
Old 31-07-2007, 11:18   #6
garinda
Give, give, give member

Re: Positive discrimination flourishes in Hyndburn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Whilst I agree with you in lots of ways on this (for instance I would have been upset during the selection process for the election, when I stood for council, if they'd have suggested a woman only candidate list), there is the other side of the coin. They've identified that Asian women aren't taking up those courses so they're positively promoting it to them as an option - I suppose the cut off point would be whether a mediocre Asian woman gets on a course and a talented bloke didn't. But if it's just trying to encourage a few more to apply then I suppose I'd be in support of that because all that's really doing is promoting equal opportunities.
I fear we're going to disagree on this point. All areas of education shoud be available for all young people to study.

What next?

Chinese lesbian students aren't going into floristry? Better start a course to help them.

In my opinion all positive discrimination is wrong. In areas were it is practised it invariably fails. The best person should always get the job, regardless of sex or ethnicity, and if they don't it's patronising and morally wrong.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote