Thread: pregnant
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2007, 17:27   #63
Lilly
God Member

Re: pregnant

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie View Post
Dear oh dear..... This thread has opened a can of worms..

I would like to add my twopennorth and stick up for these so-called book taught midwives who have no idea.........

Midwives are taught by experience, not just by theory. You cannot learn to deliver a baby and care for a mother and baby by reading a textbook. Most midwives have children themselves, some are unable to have children, have had stillbirths, cot deaths or just do not want children but spend their lives looking after other people's children. Before you make judgemental remaks about midwives who don't have kids, just think yourselves lucky that you do.......

In my opinion, you are entitled to feed your baby how you see fit. At least in this country we have a choice, in the third world you breastfeed or lose your baby to malnutrition, gastroenteritis or the thousands of other nasties out there.

Of course, if you think midwifery is an easy job and that you would be so much better at it than the people who looked after you then feel free to come and do your training.
The stark reality is that you will work long hours, do day and night shifts in the same week, rarely have a meal break, have to cope with abuse from members of the public who are drunk, on drugs or just plain nasty. You will find that you have a wealth of paperwork to do in order to cover your ar$e and fulfill legal requirements. You will rarely be supplied with adequate equipment to do your job. You will deal with stillbirths, late miscarriages and people who are grieving. You will feel like gobbing the people who coo.... 'oooh, what a lovely job.'

Despite all of this, it can be lovely and fulfilling. I have made lots of good friends and get on well with my clients. I speak my mind and genuinely worry about people and will always try my best to help, even if I've been up all night with someone in labour, feel ill, hungry, need the loo or have a thousand other jobs to do.

If you think that this is an easy job then come and try it.
Good post Lettie.Sorry if I've caused you or anyone else any offence with anything I've said in this thread.I never stopped to think about the women who couldn't have children or who had suffered stillbirths so I realise what I said may have come accross as offensive.I was just going by my own experience but,of course,not all midwives with no children of their own will be like the one allocated to me.I should not allow this one experience to cloud my judgement of all midwives without children and should not have made the sweeping statement that I did.I would like to apologise to you for that.
I realise that midwifery is a very demanding job and it must have felt like a kick in the teeth to read some of the posts I made in this thread.I would like to say that all your work is much appreciated.You sound like a wonderful,caring midwife and I'm sure there are many others just like you.I shall think before I make any more generalisations in future.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote