Thread: pregnant
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2007, 18:44   #64
lettie
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
Re: pregnant

No offence taken. I will be the first to admit that there are midwives out there who seem to have no idea or no compassion but these aren't necessarily childless midwives. Some of our midwives who are strong advocates for breastfeeding have successfully breastfed their own babies and had no problems, they fail to understand how other mothers may have problems.

As a student (17 years ago), I worked with a midwife on the labour ward who said to a woman who was having her first baby
"why are you making all that noise? I've had 4 babies and never screamed like that."
As a new student I was appalled at how heartless that sounded and vowed that I would never say those kind of things. I asked the midwife why she had said it and was told that it was to get the woman angry enough to stop screaming and push before she ended up with a forceps delivery. Even after all of these years, I can't make up my mind whether it was cruel to be kind or just plain cruel..

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote