Thread: Accy Con Club
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2007, 05:50   #48
steeljack
God Member

Re: Accy Con Club

I have many happy memories of Monday nights doing the "Con-walk " and attending the annual J.T.Rothwell company Christmas function, seems sad the local 'poo-bahs' cant get together and preserve the building as a local performing arts center 'ala' King Georges Hall in Blackburn, I allways thought part of the remit of elected officials/civic societies was to take care of the local infrastructure, and I think the 'Con-Club' regardless of politics is part of that infrastucture.
Maybe the present Hyndburn (Accrington & district) leadership are too young to remember , but I remember as a young-un the old Thwaites Arcade in Blackburn and what can only be described, and looking back as the pure vandalism when it was torn down to build the 'modern-day' shopping center .
So to the elected and civic leaders of Accrington please find a way to save the 'Con-Club' , I don't know, but create a preservation district/ 'gas lamp' area in the town center area , including the Town Hall/market Hall, Library, the old original Liberal Arts college, on the street up to the railway station ( the for-runner of Accy Tech on Sandy lane.) and the Con club .
thanks

Last edited by steeljack; 10-08-2007 at 05:53. Reason: addendum
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote