View Single Post
Old 21-01-2004, 09:42   #45
Darby

As a lad growing up in Church, I can remember many things and they way of life that has sadly gone forever.

Back in 1947/8 when as a small child, I lived in Oswald Street in Church, and my dad use to take me to the Tanpits (where the Pioneer Club now stands), where there was, amongst other things, a blacksmith and on the street there were tanners (the name of them was always Tann Pits), where hides were actually tanned. The whole area stank of old tallow, rancid fat, and horses.
That, I suppose is why it was called The Tanpits, and the Pub reflected the local tanners name.

I can vividly remember that there was also a Tannery or tallow works over Bridge Street near to Chambers Weaving Mill, where my dad took me on Saturday morning where they had bricked-off areas (Tan Pits) full of bits of hides and old stinking tallow. The place was full of rats, and they were about to have a massive "Rat-hunt".

About 40 or 50 spectators were there and about a dozen or so "Rat-Killers". They had Ratting Dogs, Ferrets, Shot Guns and big Staves of wood to destroy the rats.. All the kids and women were told to climb aboard a Trailer about 20 yards from the Tan Pits.

They first sent in the Ferrets, and then the little ratting Terriers. The whole area (about 3 Yds by 10 Yds) actually began to vibrate and rise-up as if an underground explosion had occurred. Then the rats came out of every crook and nanny and the men fired their shot guns at them or beat them with staves of wood. It was like a scene out of Dantes Inferno with small fires around the "Pits" belching smoke and flames to retain the escaping rats in the "killing" area.

As a little kid I was terrified and the girls screamed and screamed. There were rats everwhere. This went on for about 10 minutes, but felt like 2 hours. Then some of the dogs came out with rats in their mouths, and others waited outside small holes for other rats to make a run for it.

I don't know how many rats they killed but it must have been in the hundreds.

Finally my dad carried me home as I didn't want to walk, because I was frightened that a rat would bite me.

But this memory remains as vivid as the day it happened, and I was only about 3 or 4 years old. I didn't go down the Tanpits for many a week after that, and kept to playing on the "Injun Bed" on which the new school (Sacred Heart Primary) was later built.

The tanpits were closed down shortly afterwards, and the blacksmiths also disappeared. But the smell remained for a long time.

Last edited by Darby; 21-01-2004 at 09:44.
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote