View Single Post
Old 01-09-2007, 10:01   #63
Eric
God Member

Re: 1 in 4 living off benefits

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
It includes students and early retirees - statistics can be distorted to say whatever you want them to say.

I saw government statistical methods changing often
The answers you get depend on the subtle way the questions are asked
This is true ... and it is what many who have posted to this thread have forgotten.

And then there is the old song that I can't quite remember: "It's the same the whole world over, it's the poor what gets the blame ... etc."

When thinking of government "support," many forget the support the govt. gives to major corporations: that's it, the rich. I have no good reason to suppose that in this England is all that much different from Canada. In the form of grants, tax loopholes, and incentives govts., particularly conservative (not necessarily Conservative) govts. give money to business in the often proved false belief that they will use this to create jobs. Well, the money goes out; but where are the jobs? We all know: in third (or second) world countries where wages, safety standards etc. are almost non existent. Some years ago in Canada, the New Democratic Party (our Labour) did a lot of research on this and identified what their leader, a rare honest politician, Ed Broadbent, called "Corporate Welfare Bums." And it is to these bums that Billions of "welfare" bucks go. Fortunately, it is getting much better here.

You won't, however, see these bums hanging around on street corners, lounging on their Lamborghinis, guzzling champers, and making asses of themselves. They are rarely visible, and if they are seen they are respectable. But they are there, and they are more responsible for the country's economic problems than are the poor bums.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote