View Single Post
Old 03-09-2007, 15:54   #23
ChrissieB

Post Re: accrington High School 1960-1966

I was there from 1961 to 1966. I remember the joy of getting a 'Commendation' and the fear woe betide you got a 'Disorder Mark'. Mademoiselle Croix taught me French for most of my time there, Mr Mortimer (Science) had us (3T) as his first class as form master, poor chap, how we made him blush. There was Mr Reeves (latin) Mr Anderton (maths) and Mr Bloom (science) Mrs Fox (history) Miss Scotson (history) Mrs Taylor and Miss Tomlinson (P.E.) Miss Brown (Deputy Head) Miss Redmayne (R.E.) I'll have to have a think re the rest of them! There was a lovely red headed lady that taught Art and a tiny woman that was the music teacher.Other names I remember are Miss Melody, Mrs Riley. And of course there was the School Hymn.. 'Let us now praise famous men'.. I can still remember the words and tune (?? or lack of), how we could only wear gymslips and thick black stockings til the 3rd year , at which time we could wear flesh coloured stockings too (aka american tan ! ), we had winter and summer uniforms and at the Christmas party we could dress up in 'normal ' clothes. We were told off for wearing nail polish and back combing our hair was frowned on too. We could buy biscuits in the corridor at break time, eat pretty decent school dinners, and we raised money to train a Guide Dog for the Blind which we named 'Penny'. ..... what a trip down memory lane !!!
ChrissieB is offline   Reply With Quote