Thread: Attendances
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2007, 13:01   #39
Doug
Member.

Re: Attendances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
Sounds like a statement from some who doesn't quite know what they are talking about.

In all honesty, you aren't going to boost gates in the short term. I live in Darwen and if Darwen FC were to go on a promotion run over the next few years and rise to the Conference or Football League, I still wouldn't go and watch them. I'm a Stanley fan and will always watch the team I support. I wouldn't even be tempted to support Darwen as a second team, as I have little interest in them.

The same can be said for all those football fans who turned to Burnley, Blackburn, Manchester Utd, etc when Stanley had no team, or a team playing at a very amateur level. They aren't suddenly going to say, "I see Stanley are back in the League and as I live in Accrington I'm going to switch my support. It isn't going to happen. There are also a couple of generations of children who have grown up in households where Stanley isn't the family team, so we've missed all those too.

If Stanley are going to boost their crowds it has to be a long-term project. Statrt off with the kids and maybe we'll see bigger gates in the future. Of course, it all depends on how long we have got for it to happen, and if the club has enough initiative to make it happen.
There are few things in this life that are as lasting as the choice and commitment given to your first club. Stanley for us is one of them. Unfortunately as you have pointed out before those that made their choice 40 odd years are unlikely to change either, we need to new blood and life of Accrington and District to fill the voids, irrespective of their colour, creed, religion. If we can get them and keep them then their colour will be Red, there creed will be Accrington and their religion will be Stanley.

OK, which way was the door……………….

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -