Thread: Myfootballclub
View Single Post
Old 26-09-2007, 21:33   #151
doheochai

Re: Myfootballclub

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
I recall asking you about supporting a football club and you said you didn't.

I fail to see how anyone who doesn't actually support a club to understand what 'soul' means to a true football supporter. Anyone can watch from an armchair but the only soul there is the one you sit on
My local football club (an amateur team) folded many years ago after spending years struggling to survive - emigration of people in their late teens and twenties from the west of Ireland throughout the 1980's eventually put paid to its continued existance. I spent a number of years coaching one of the underage teams but by 1990 we couldn't even find enough kids to make up the underage teams because all the young families had left. It's not a very nice experience to see something you (and a lot of others) are passionate about, fail for economic reasons (and this with an amateur team). Makes me want to do what I can to ensure that other clubs survive - and MFC is an ideal vehicle for me to play a role and have an impact. I believe if it is a success it could actually change the way people look at football. Having moved from my home town I still continue to coach a youth team (both at football and basketball) but the team where I live now were one of my own clubs main local rivals (couldn't ever see myself actively supporting them - although I do attend games on a fairly regular basis and my son plays for their youths team).

I also do enjoy watching football on tele. Don't see the crime in that.
doheochai is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web