View Single Post
Old 03-10-2007, 19:20   #7
jambutty
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: first aid at school

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I'm beginning to wonder about the validity of First Aid training after being told that if you try to save someone's life and fail you can be held responsible for their death.
What absolute and utter balderdash and the epitome of a selfish attitude. Not giving first aid in case the patient dies and you get sued. Sheeeesh!!!

If you see another human being injured or ill you go to their aid and do what you can until professional help arrives.

First aid doesn’t just mean saving a life.
It can mean stopping serious bleeding from a cut or from the nose.
It can mean cooling a burn.
It can mean encouraging a person to keep a limb still if a fracture is suspected.
It can mean simply moving objects from the immediate proximity a person in the throws of an epileptic fit so that they don’t injure themselves.
It can mean simply reassuring the injured person or talking to them to keep them awake until professional help arrives.
It can also mean knowing not just what to do but also what NOT to do if a medical emergency arises and when to seek professional help. And that is important considering there are so many old wives tales flying around about how to treat this and that.

So I’m all for it and water life saving too.

I learned very basic first aid in the scouts, which has been shown since then to have been a load of rubbish. Then in the navy I got proper tuition although the Holger Neilsson resuscitation method was still in use at that time.

Back in civvy street I took several St. John’s Ambulance first aid courses. Of course the certificate has expired long ago but that doesn’t mean to say I suddenly forgot what was taught me.

My only problem today would be getting down to floor level where the victim would most likely be.

Last edited by jambutty; 03-10-2007 at 19:26.
jambutty is offline   Reply With Quote