View Single Post
Old 20-10-2007, 12:38   #61
jambutty
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Easy way to stop smoking.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
We smokers enjoy it - thats what addiction is!
Addiction is a compulsion to do something, although enjoyment may come into it but is not the driving force.

Smokers are in denial and to save from having to admit it and lose face they come up with all sorts of excuses why they smoke. One of them being “I enjoy a fag after a meal or whatever”.

It is the same with alcoholics. They will deny that they are addicted and usually trot out things like, “ a glass of xxxxx helps me relax” or whatever.

As a smoker for some 56 years who has stopped in the past for well over a year I think that I can speak with a modicum of authority on this issue.

We smokers are ADDICTED to smoking. Whether it is to the nicotine content or the physical act of taking a fag out of a packet, lighting up and puffing away doesn’t really matter. Although I suspect that the latter is more of an addiction than the former. That is why all ‘stop smoking’ aids like patches all include the words “some will power will be needed” or words to that effect.

Until the smokers admit it to themselves their chances of quitting are not good and console themselves with a multitude of excuse why they don’t want to quit.