Thread: Uni...
View Single Post
Old 30-10-2007, 07:37   #5
entwisi
God Member

Re: Uni...

One problem(or is it?) in what is termed IT is that it covers a multitude of sins and a massive variance in salaries. There are standard helpdesk peeps who probably earn ~£18K and people earning significantly higher amounts. It is also an industry with a decent percentage of contract workers who are effectively self employed working short term contracts (6 months max) who at first view earn huge salaries but after the taxman has had his slice and you start taking into consideration time between contracts, no sick pay etc they may not be as well off as you first think.

e.g. I work for a blue chip company (a Bank, I've said who elsewhere if you can be bothered to search) and earn what I consider to be a very good wage. If I was prepared to go Contracting in London working short term contracts I would be rarely out of work as my skills are in high demand and I would be earning ~£450-600 a day. Personally I think I earn enough to live the life I want and I wouldn't trade coming home to my family each night for all the tea in China. I'm fortunate to some degree as I did have opportunities available to me but it was up to me to take them.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote