View Single Post
Old 30-10-2007, 22:22   #67
West Ender
Passed away 25-11-09

Re: aleks avatar..(swastika)

To anyone near my age a swastika was anathema, as was any picture of Hitler. I was less than 7 years old when I first heard stories about concentration camps etc. and, in my early years, I only knew Germany as the enemy and the swastika as its emblem.

My grandson was born in 1985 and, to him, WW2 is just History. Although he appreciates the horrors of Naziism it's not relevant to anything he's ever experienced. I think the same was true of Prince Harry when he made that rather stupid gaffe of wearing Nazi uniform to a fancy dress party. It didn't impact in the same way it would to an older person. We may say this is wrong but, thinking about it, my great-great grandfather would probably have said much the same about Napoleon Bonaparte who was as much loathed and feared, in his day, as Hitler was 150 years later.

When it comes down to it, a swastika is just an emblem. It may have been used here to cause mischief but, in itself, it's not important. If Alecks wants to ally himself to a political party defeated 60 years ago that's his misfortune. If he allies himself to a present-day neo-Nazi party, that's his stupidity.