View Single Post
Old 07-11-2007, 15:54   #4
Less
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Translator please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
As you may, or may not know, I work with a lot of different communities on events. I am trying to raise funding for an activity that appeals to White, Asian and Eastern Europeans - a pretty tall order - but if it comes to fruition it would be reflective of the main communities in Hyndburn at the moment.

In describing the event I'm trying to explain it to everyone - it's similar to a Spring Fete or in Urdu I think it would be called Meena Bazaar (not sure of the spelling), would anyone know what the Eastern European/Polish equivalent would be?
I'm confused,
[QUOTE ]White, Asian and Eastern Europeans[/quote]
I've seen a lot of, ' Eastern Europeans', around town lately, and they all seem white to me, for example the polish shop that's opened on B'burn rd,

O.K. they aren't 'English', but then neither are people from Southern Ireland, if they had been included amongst the targetted 'minorities' My ex wife and I would have been quids in!

Let's face it, all of these people, (including my wife), chose to come here to live for a better life, why should WE have to translate for them? They should all be putting the effort in to learn our language, if I went to Italy, (for example), to live, I would shift into learning zone and use their language.

Before you come back saying, ah, yes but your wife speaks English, there are areas in Ireland where Gaelic is still the main language, but nothing done for them if they come over here.

Sorry Gayle not a rant against you, I just feel that wherever you are from, it is YOU, that should fit in with society and not vice, versa.

Less is offline   Reply With Quote