View Single Post
Old 07-11-2007, 19:28   #5
Gayle
God Member

Re: Translator please

I know what you mean and I'm not pandering to people who can't speak English. All I'm asking is what is the name for a certain event in a different language - I could have asked what the name for a Spring Fayre was in French but we don't have that many French people in Accrington, we do, however, in Accrington have a lot of Polish people so I want to know what their equivalent of a Spring Fayre is as I'm sure they'll have one.

I used White for English because that is a standard term in the UK - see any forms that you have to fill in these days. I used the term Asian, because that too is a standard term. I used Eastern European because not unsurprisingly that is also a standard term.

The only reason I want to know what the phrase would be is so that I can describe it. The posters won't have the different languages on, the press releases won't, it's just a name that I want to know so that I can use it if I need to explain what a Spring Fayre is to a Polish person who may not be aware of one.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote