View Single Post
Old 07-11-2007, 21:04   #67
blazey
God Member

Re: Raise The School Leaving Age?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamF View Post
Exactly. Equal opportunities. Why should I have to pay £25k when others get it for free ?

It is me that will have to work my arse off to get a degree and me who will have to deal the paying for the thing. My parents don't come into it, and they shouldn't do. It is going to be my name on the paper at the end of the day, not theirs, even if they could afford to help in anyway, they shouldn't have to.

It is possible for anybody aged 16 to get into college, it's free. The loans are there for anybody who gets the A levels to get into university. Anyone who is willing to work for it can get a degree, your parents could earn nothing, you could get no grants and still get a degree, you'll be stuck with the huge debts yes, but things cost it's a fact of life. My point is that not getting EMA will not stop you reaching higher education, no matter what your background.

Again, why should parents come into this, at the age of 18 your legally independent, it is you that wants the degree, and it should be you that pays for it, if your parents are rich and can pay for it, lucky you, but if the government started paying for everything rich kids can get from their parents there would be a lot more Range Rovers on the road.
I'm from a low income family and I get £2000 a year free, which wouldnt amount to £25000 after 3 yrs of the same payments. I wouldnt have got through college without EMA and I had a job when I could manage one, and I know many people who wouldnt be here at Uni aswell without any funding whatsoever.
I will leave the education system with MORE than 25k debt and I'm from a low income single parent family, so I'm not going to complain about my right to financial help when I am going to be leaving here with just as much, if not more debt than alot of students.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote