View Single Post
Old 20-11-2007, 22:03   #22
West Ender
Passed away 25-11-09

Re: 15m bank details lost!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanaccy View Post
Is it just me or is the fact that a "junior" read casual, member of staff was allowed to download all details of all Child benefit recipients, a bit scary or am I just being paranoid (BTW I work for the DWP and there is no way in hell we would be allowed to do this).

If they are then I would call for the heads of all depts in HMRC and not just the muppet who resigned.

It wouldn't be a "casual" as HMRC don't employ them any more. It is quite possible that the actual process was carried out by someone of a lower grade but it must have been authorised by the person's manager and should have been authorised by the manager's manager.

I wonder who decided this was permissable as HMRC has always had a policy of not divulging information even to other Civil Service departments. You will probably recognise, Stanaccy, that Fraud Hotline information is passed from DWP to HMRC but not the other way round. If permission was sought and granted it must have come from a very senior source. The "junior" staff member is a scapegoat.