View Single Post
Old 03-12-2007, 06:36   #108
WillowTheWhisp
Resident Waffler

Re: A Law Unto Themselves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr View Post
I would jump to the chance to argue against Jambutty providing my argument was correct, however..I think Jambutty is correct if rather a few aspects.

I am currently at the University of Hull so can't comment on the content of the actually sign at Asda.

However, I can say that if Asda are enforcing their own 'law' then,

1) It's going to be bad for business
2) It kinda removes the sovereignty of parliament somewhat, as 18 year olds SHOULD be able to buy alcohol, though as rightly said they're not legally obliged too, although again as jambutty said this could fall under age discrimination, and in my opinion rightly should.

I think a lot of people are having a go at him, regardless of the fact that MANY of you probably haven't seen the sign. Fair enough if it is a 'challenge 21' sign, then hes wrong, i can't comment myself, but if you aint seen it then you can't really say for definite can you?
We've got to have an image of these notices so we know what we're talking about. It's difficult to discuss something we haven't seen, but people have simply tried to point out the reasoning behind erring on the side of caution. ASDA would probably rather lose the business of a few 19-21 year olds than lose their licence to sell alcohol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
The signs say if you look under 21 they will ask for ID for the purchase of alcohol
They do not say that you have to be 21.The reason for this is to stop or lesson the risk of under age drinking. The same applies to tobacco you have to look 18 or you will be asked for I.D.--It's yet another government way of pretending that they care about the youth.It will never work.Though with my grey hair and zimmer frame I don't have a problem
That's what the 'challenge 21' signs say - of which I gave 2 examples, but Jambutty said those were irrelevant. Have you actually seen the ones in ASDA at Grimshaw Park? Is that what they say?

I don't know what I'll be buying when I go - but I certainly do want to go and have a look. As Neal quite rightly said though, it won't be booze.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote