View Single Post
Old 04-12-2007, 18:17   #827
Wynonie Harris
Super Moderator

Re: Hyndburn to be axed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
So tonight is the council decision on the name change. My understanding is that it will require a two-thirds vote in favour in order to proceed, which given the current political balance is unlikely to happen. Although I am no fan of Britcliffe, it would appear to me that this was an imaginative idea which could possibly turn the tide of relentless economic decline in the borough.

It is darkly comical that it is the 'exiles' on here who are in favour of the change - they are those would have little to gain from it - while it is the little "Hyndburnite" locals who oppose, on the grounds of cost. I never realised that Hyndburn contained so many members of the accountancy profession, which is quite amazing, given that many parts of the town now resemble a third world slum and one assumes that this is a place they would not wish to live. Still, if they wish to wallow in this mess, then so bit it.

The sad thing is that Accy does have so many unrealised assets currently going to waste; the only thing that is going to turn the situation around is outside investment. How do you attract that investment? By using our greatest single asset - that of the name of Accy. That is why this name change is so important. There is still a chance this may go the right way, but if not, then I would certainly have no sympathy for anyone on here who supports the ludicrous name of Hyndburn but constantly whinge about all the problems that exist there.
Exactly! Karma sent.