View Single Post
Old 05-12-2007, 18:40   #865
katex
Resting in Peace

Re: Hyndburn to be axed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
"I totally support Clr Britcliffe's proposal to change the name of the Borough....Labour Councillor will over the coming month's be helping and working with the Conservatives in any way we can to look into all the issues so 'the big changeover' really is something we can benefit from."

What I cannot understand, however, is the attitude of the local Labour party. Still, I suppose it takes after it's national parent, whose stupidity and hypocracy is now clear for all to see.
Well, I admire anybody Tealeaf who has the guts to do a U-Turn .. although don't particularly admire Councillor Britcliffe on his U-turn to support a referendum .. that was all political and manipulative. Perhaps you will submit us a paper backed up with facts and figures on how you see the benefits. To me everything was O.K. so why change it at great cost ? Might as well put forward a proposal to change all the black bins to fluorescent pink bins, cause is a pretty colour and brighten up the neighbourhood and the binmen would know where to find them .. Miss Kitty would love this..

"National Parent" .. mmm .. again Councillor Britcliffe never lost the opportunity to knock the Labour Government over and over again ..was totally irrelevent to this local issue. He does waffle and comes out with the same points and insults everytime he raises his bum off the seat.

Graham, yes I did spot the mouthing to Councillor McCormack, but at this stage had got into the swing of things and was totally non-plussed by it.

I know it was a longer meeting than expected due to lots of clarifications by the solicitor ? Was impressed however, as had to be done so no criticism later.

Doing a bit of a U-turn myself on a referendum attached to local elections.

For instance, the people of Accrington are the majority voters (I think):-

50% will have never heard of this proposal when voting.. so will just make an on the spot decision and think "Eeew yeh, that sounds good" .. tick 'Yes'

25% will have read a little about it, think Accrington Stanley, the Pals, but never considered the costs... tick 'Yes'

10% will be avid Accrington Stanley supporters and have no doubts about the name change ...tick 'Yes'

mmmm .. how much have I got left ? :-

12% will just be being selfish and not considering the rest of the borough and nostalgic about the name 'Accrington' and didn't like the name change 33 years hence (like Cashman and Wynonie)... tick 'Yes'

5% will just be thick and wanting to rush down to the pub, home to their tea and haven't time to really consider what they are voting for.. tick 'Yes'

5% sincerely are misguided but believe that the name change will benefit the borough economically and bring in more business... tick 'Yes'

2% will just be supporting party policies (like Tealeaf)... tick 'Yes'

1% will actually have thought deeply about the issue and decided that this is just gonna' cost of loads of money and of no benefit.. tick 'No'

Ok .. just logical trumped up stastitics .. but don't think far off the mark.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote