View Single Post
Old 06-12-2007, 11:27   #879
WillowTheWhisp
Resident Waffler

Re: Hyndburn to be axed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post

"We have gone from a proposed referendum (a lie) for the public to decide on a name change to a dictatorial decision by the minority of the council (Labours 1/3rd blocking any future change after he defeated Labours referendum proposal). We have asked you to listen to those who say what's best for the regeneration of the borough (ie we will change the name to Accrington+). He warned the opposition: "You can't take the public for granted. We will take a decision in spite of you. (which he can't because he doesn't have 2/3rds majority YET)."
Wasn't it more like a dictatorial desire to go ahead with the name change and him and his crowd not wanting a referendum?

Who says it's best for the regeneration of the borough? He's just got a bee in his bonnet about it and won't accept that it's a pointless waste of time.

It sounds to me like he is the one who is taking the public for granted and to make a statement like "We will take a decision in spite of you." is such utter unbelievable arrogance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
I think your'e right Neil.

Maybe the poll should ask the question, " Would you like to see your council tax spent on changing the name of the borough or spent on essential services". I suspect the poll would then be conclusive anyway.
When I asked something like that I was told it was a loaded question.

I don't visit the telegraph site on a regular basis so I didn't vote. No doubt there are many other residents who don't visit the site, not to mention those who don't have internet access or don't even have a PC. (yes there are some). There will be people out there who aren't even aware yet of this silly idea and I dread to think how it would be worded in a referendum.

Would you:
A) Like to change the name to Accrington and District and generate lots of new input into the local economy?
B) Like to stagnate as Hyndburn?

OR

Would you:
A) Like to waste time and money changing the name of the borough to Accrington & District
B) Leave well alone and concentrate effort on promoting the borough and attracting more interest?

See what a difference the wording makes.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote