Thread: Best gigs
View Single Post
Old 26-03-2004, 17:03   #3
Sparkologist
I am Band

Re: Best gigs

Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros, The Academy, Oxford road, Manchester, Thursday 28th October 1999, ticket number 01482.

He started off playing songs from his recently released album, 'Rock Art and The X-Ray Style', which were well received, but that wasn't the real reason the Academy was packed that night. Forth song in, opening bars of The Clash song Capital Radio, MOSH!!! The place went berserk. Absolutely mental. Lots of Clash numbers... 'Bankrobber', 'I Fought the Law', 'Police On My Back', Joe had a thing about Coppers, (are you listening Plod). 'White Man In Hammersmith Palais' got the biggest ovation of the night.
The encore rounded off the night with a bass driven version of Straight To Hell. He played guitar with a passion and a belief in the words he sang. I have never been to a gig before, or since, where there has been so much energy on stage, equally matched by the crowd. It took three days for my hearing to return, about a week for the grin to subside, but the memories of that night will never fade.

I saw Joe play again at the Academy in 2001, at Manchester Area supporting The Who, and what turned out to be one of his last ever gigs, at Blackpool Winter Gardens, in November 2002, before he sadly passed away in December 2002. Each concert was different, and supurb in their own right, but they will never match or surpass the night of 28th October 1999.

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!

Last edited by Sparkologist; 17-04-2004 at 16:29.
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote