View Single Post
Old 29-03-2004, 09:36   #27
Darby

Re: Accrington Train station

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owd Bert
With reference to previous postings the Loco is standing at the same Platform but of course facing the "normal" way ie: ready to depart in the Huncoat direction. In the "old days" when going in the Burnley direction you had the choice of Platforms. This one or the one serving trains from Church direction. The central stairs are visible leading to the train in the photo and also two other platforms. The one to the right which took the Church direction trains and behind it was a Bay Platform with stop Buffers. This was used for trains starting at Accrington and going in the Church direction. I used this Platform daily many years ago to go to Bolton on a Manchester train via of course Blackburn.
I'm not sure about that Bert...If a train was standing in the direction of Huncoat then the stairs were on its (the trains) left hand side and so was the platform. No train facing the right direction (Man-Burnley / Burnley-Man / Burnley-Blackburn / Blackburn-Burnley)could have the platform on its left hand side! So it must be facing the wrong direction.

Unless it was in a Bay Platform, of which there were 2 in Accy station. One to the left of the Accy-Manchester platform and t'other (as you said) to the left of the Accy - Blackburn platform. However, the stairs were some distance away, so I don't think they are applicable to the piccy.

Just my ramblings as an ex-train spotter of many years.

Last edited by Darby; 29-03-2004 at 09:41.
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote