Thread: Giving birth
View Single Post
Old 31-03-2004, 07:13   #17
lettie
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
Re: Giving birth

Littlemo is right, your digestion slows down during labour, so if you pig out before going to hospital, you are likely to be sick. Most people are nauseated just after delivery. We do have baths here when your waters have gone. If you are in your own home (amongst your own bugs) so to speak, you are unlikely to get an infection. The reason they like you to go to hospital when your waters have gone, is to check for cord prolapse. This is a rare occurrence, where if the baby's head is not engaged, the cord can be washed down with the flow of water, the head then comes down and compresses the cord. It is an obstetric emergency and very unlikely to happen, but we like to check you for it anyway. (I have seen 2 in 12 years)
Also, if you can get it, try Raspberry Leaf tea or tablets. They are herbal, and it is believed that they help the uterus to contract more effectively. You take them as you go into your 37th week of pregnancy, up until you go into labour. There is no evidence to say that raspberry leaf actually works, but everybody myself and my colleagues have looked after, who has taken it, have had really nice labours. A couple of my colleagues took it themselves, and swear by it.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote