Thread: Giving birth
View Single Post
Old 31-03-2004, 20:54   #27
lettie
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
Re: Giving birth

It's actually cheaper for a home birth in England, than a hospital birth. Less drugs, no doctors, no hospital stay etc. I'm actually on call for one now (mobile at the ready) Don't know how I'd stand legally delivering a baby in Italy. Every year in the UK Midwives have to register their intent to practice and be specific about where they are going to be working, so if you change areas half way through the year, you have to fill out another one. Just done mine for East Lancs. Even if I were to accidentally catch a baby in another area, while visiting or shopping, I would have to contact the nearest supervisor of Midwives and fill out an intention to practice for that area. It helps to stop people practising illegally, as it is illegal to deliver a baby in the UK (intentionally) without a midwifery or medical qualification, you can be taken to court and fined apparrently!!!

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote