Thread: Giving birth
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2004, 07:34   #28
Jo

Re: Giving birth

I don't think that's a problem here Lettie. Mums have the right to deliver alone if they want, so a midwife could be just a friend helping you out.

Tealeaf, it's not that anaesthetics are illegal here, some regions do have the epidural, in fact if you have a c-section, it's practically an epidural they give you. The reason they don't have anything here in Bolzano is that 1) they say they don't have the resources to have an anestaetician available for all those that want epidurals, as they have to monitor the mother right thrugh labour, so it's costly. and 2) for principle - they believe that it is worse to give gas and air and have the mother lying on the back - childbirth is a natural process and they let the mother keep control of the whole situation, you can walk round, go in the bath and do what you want, but you have to concentrate, and some drugs literally drug you up and take away this mental power.
In some ways I agree with them, I am always for the most natural remedy, but never having been through labour, I'm afraid, and the things that niggles me most is not having the choice because, knowing myself, I wouldn't ask for anything anyway, I'm pretty strong, but I would at least like to know the option is there.
Jo is offline   Reply With Quote