Thread: Match Off
View Single Post
Old 20-01-2008, 09:47   #51
lancsdave
God Member

Re: Match Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
It's not that unusual. I remember it happening a few times over the years where a local referee (FA registered of course) pronounced the pitch fit to play on, but then the game was called off once the match referee arrived.
As Dave says, it is the match referee that makes the ultimate decision. The real question should be, why didn't he call it off when he first arrived at the ground and saw the pitch? One reason could be that he didn't inspect the pitch until well after he arrived.
We had one last season, passed fit by a local ref then postponed by the match ref. Like you say TM it's not that uncommon.

Still can't figure out the time delay. The only thing I can think of is that the referee looked at that pitch and said the bad parts were not playable. Proffesional pride means groundsman do not like being beat by the weather and it's possible he said 'give me an hour and I'll sort it', if there is any chance he will get his hour, but it wasn't enough. I'm only guessing from past experience though

I bet the groundsman sleeps today, he must be absolutely knackered from the last few days efforts to get it played.