Thread: Match Off
View Single Post
Old 20-01-2008, 16:12   #69
Outback Ozzy
Senior Member+

Re: Match Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
The match referee is the one who has to take the ultimate responsibility. I am a bit puzzled from Ozzy's earlier comments about the time taken by the match referee to call the game off. The first thing a referee does when he gets to the ground is to inspect the pitch. I'd be interested to find out if he did and on what basis he didn't call the game off then.

My comments were based on the fact that the match referee arrived at the ground about 1200 - I know because so did I and followed all 3 officials into the ground - what I am asking is why did it take him one and three quarter hours to decide that the pitch was not fit to play on? Secondly Pete I have to correct you on a previous statement, the club phoned the FA/FL whichever and asked for a referee to come to inspect the pitch, this is what was broadcasted on BBC Radio Lancs. The FA/FL asked for a referee (not Stanley or any club official) to come to the ground in the morning. This as we know was a complete waste of time. I fell sorry for every fan either Stanley or Brentford who travelled any distance to watch the match, but it really is not the clubs fault. This one can be laid firmly at the FA/FL door.

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote