View Single Post
Old 22-01-2008, 22:30   #33
katex
Resting in Peace

Re: Post Office Closures

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
I suspect it is not consideration for people having to climb steep streets. Anyone who lives in the Church Kirk area faces a very steep climb to the Dill Hall Lane Post Office.
This was just a tongue in cheek comment claytonender and not to be taken too seriously .. basically, they have probaby looked at each site independently and decided which ones were making any money or otherwise.

Realise is difficult for some of the elderly to become conversant with banking (now a dying breed), but plenty of help out there for them, and the safest way of receiving their pensions regularly without having to worry about a trip to the local post office every week, or hiding their money under the mattress. Lots of pensioners over 70 are just being stubborn, a new wave of pensioners coming up now .. me being a prime example. Anyway, with a bank account comes a debit card .. so no reason for too much cash carrying these days.

Lots of new ATM machines being installed in closer proximity than ever their post office was, and very few now charge.

As for the danger of this, how many incidents were reported re: people being robbed after visiting Post Offices to collect their weekly benefits, pensions, etc., bet lot more than collecting at a cash machine.. and most do have CCTV now.

Online banking is not a necessity, so your argument re. buying expensive equipment as computers does not hold up.

'Tis sad, I know, that for the minority who find banking difficult is now over-ruled by those who do not .. but that is life unfortunately and in 10 years time the gap will have almost closed.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote