View Single Post
Old 04-02-2008, 18:59   #7
Retlaw
I am Banned

Re: growing your own veggies

You can grow spuds in empty bags. I've used the plastic ones that you get from the builders merchants. Roll the top of the bag down to about 1/2 way punch some drain holes in the bottom, 1/2 fill with good soil, make sure theres no lime in it, any spud can be used they don't have to be special seed potatoes, if the eyes are sprouting it will do, rub of all but 3 sprouts, press into soil with sprouts upermost, cover with 6" of soil, keep well water but don't drown them. As the plants grow you can unroll the bag abit and add more soil. Spuds can take up to 26 weeks to come to full maturity. Don't forget to feed them whilst they are growing.

Carrots are a bit more exacting, they need sowing at the right depth and covering with a garden fleece to stop carrot fly, there's thousands of the little sods in Accrington.

Retlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
ok i might of asked this question before but... does anyone on here grow there own veg? i'm going to try and grow some myself, just starting off with potato's and maybe carrots...i'm going to try doing the potato's in a huge bin type thing instead of the ground because the mud in my garden is naff

anyone any tips?
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote