View Single Post
Old 20-02-2008, 23:28   #13
carpon
Full Member+

Re: Canvassing Opinion

Any extra publicity for the club has got to be a good thing- be it long term or short term. However, whilst I'm unaware whether Pendle Red has any official role within the club, It's my opinion ( which may be shared by others) that the hierarchy at this club have never grasped the full opportunity to promote the club properly since our elevation from the non- leagues and our Conference title winning season.

The local press have tried to accomodate. The L.E.T. has certainly expanded on Stanley coverage since our elevation to the Football League and more often than not contains a two page spread. The Observer has in recent years had extensive coverage (covering several pages) of the Red's fortunes with in depth match reports and match previews. However counter this with the somewhat "pedantic" stance taken by the club of banning officials speaking to the Observer in light of the recent "poll" (i.e. Has Coley taken A.S.F.C. as far as he can)and this action has probably damaged any ties the club has built with the local media. These ties will probably take sensitive repair work by both parties (i.e. the club and the Observer).

As for Local radio, it's good to see that 2BR has made a real effort to provide full match commentary when possible. However, whilst this is great when Stanley are away from home, I can't help feeling full match commentary has an effect on attendances when Stanley are home at the F.E.S. Radio Lancashire have in recent years improved on their coverage of Stanley to their credit. The fact that they seem to be covering Morecambe more this season probably has two reasons:

1) Morecambe are in their first season in the Football League and..

2) Morecambe are having a very successful first season in their first season.

That said, refer back to my opening paragraph of this post. Whilst the club has bemoaned the lack of home support / season ticket sales,it seems to me at least, that it's left to other parties to promote the club.Be it the local media, the O.S.C. or volunteers.

Admittedly I suppose the club is still on a learning curve on how to adapt to life as a Football League club. However, It's just MY opinion, I can't help but feel the club could be doing more to promote itself and make itself more appealing to the local public. Somewhere out there are something in the region of 1200 extra fans who came regularly in our Conference title winning season. There are probably more,who, with the right coaxing might just be tempted to get down to the F.E.S. and support the Reds.

Bearing all this in mind, one thing is clear. If nothing is done to address the current apathy that is being showed towards the club, then the club can just as easily slide back into non-league obscurity just as quickly as it propelled itself back into the Football League. One thing is for sure.... If the club and it's supporters continue to pull in the opposite direction then the club will get nowhere fast. If the club and it's supporters (be they the present loyal hardcore or the prospective "floating supporter" ) pull in the same direction then who knows what could be possible ??

Karma on it's way for your efforts Pendle Red and I wish you every success on your efforts.

Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill.
carpon is offline   Reply With Quote