View Single Post
Old 23-02-2008, 20:01   #17
glasgow guy
Senior Member+

Re: How Does Your Garden Grow?

Right in the centre there are some 40 daffodils in a tight circle surrounded by bunches of 5 different coloured crocuses and these are surrounded by a ring of some 200 snow drops.

thats quite alot of bulbs to grow in such a small space..

Sadly only about 50 snowdrops poked their heads up so that sort of ruined the display a bit.

could be because they were planted too close together?

Over in the back right hand corner my personal bluebell wood is showing signs of life with a bunch of foreign bluebells at the apex of a triangle and over 100 bluebells filling up the remainder.

I hope you dont live near the countryside or near public parks as its not advised to plant foreign bluebells in the uk cos they are a more vigorous plant than our english one which is slowly dying out due to the foreign being more aggresive and more of a hybrid..

Alongside the fence on the left the Foxgloves have survived but I don’t think that the Hollyhocks and Lupins have managed to. But you never know there may be something underground just waiting for the warmer weather. I’ll have to re-sow them in April if not.

your hollyhocks may have gotten rust? thus bumping them off...or your soil wasnt quite correct..

The rest of the garden will be sown with meadow flowers come April and the perimeter will sport things like the yellow poppy and antirrhinums.

snapdragons are ace and you cant have enough of them in a garden..

I will try and dig out some snaps of my back yard..
glasgow guy is offline   Reply With Quote