View Single Post
Old 24-02-2008, 08:37   #129
MargaretR
God Member

re: Planning Applications

I dont agree with converting existing housing into flats, because there are bound to be problems with noise. Such accommodation reminds me of the doss houses and student bedsits I visited when working for DHSS.

I can understand nearby residents being annoyed when a development like that gets planning permission in their area.

More purpose built 1 bed accommodation is needed, which would free up the 2 bed terraces for small families.

I know quite a few persons of my age group who feel burdened by their housing, which is now larger than their needs, is more expensive and tiring to maintain. They despair at the shortage of suitable accommodation, either to buy or rent.

Most of those newbuild apartments are expensive and can only attract middle aged couples with no children, who have a 3 bed semi to sell. They are less likely to consider such 'downsizing' as an option.

Housing Associations should encouraged to build, readily be given planning consent, and even given financial incentives, to build 1 bedroomed accomodation, for rent.

Perhaps when those expensive flats get no buyers, they will be bought by a professional landlord, who will rent them out.

Meanwhile we are stuck with a housing stock which does not meet the needs of our changing population and is a source of misery for many.

Last edited by MargaretR; 24-02-2008 at 08:40.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote