View Single Post
Old 01-03-2008, 18:21   #59
nikkival

Re: Cold calling should be illegal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I wonder why they carry on doing it when it is well known that most cold calling doesn't get any results. In fact with a lot of people it has precisely the opposite effect.
Jehovah's Witnesses do it because this is what Jesus did - explanation taken from their website

Quote:
CHRISTIANS are commanded to "make disciples of people of all the nations," but this does not mean that they are to use pressure or convert others by force. Jesus' commission was to "tell good news to the meek ones," to "bind up the brokenhearted," to "comfort all the mourning ones." (Matthew 28:19; Isaiah 61:1, 2; Luke 4:18, 19) Jehovah's Witnesses seek to do this by declaring the good news from the Bible. Like the prophet Ezekiel of old, Jehovah's Witnesses today try to find those who "are sighing and groaning over all the detestable things that are being done."—Ezekiel 9:4.

The best-known way they use to find those who are distressed by present conditions is by going from house to house. Thus they make a positive effort to reach the public, just as Jesus did when "he went journeying from city to city and from village to village, preaching and declaring the good news of the kingdom of God." His early disciples did likewise. (Luke 8:1; 9:1-6; 10:1-9) Today, where it is possible, Jehovah's Witnesses endeavor to call at each home several times a year, seeking to converse with the householder for a few minutes on some local or world topic of interest or concern. A scripture or two may be offered for consideration, and if the householder shows interest, the Witness may arrange to call back at a convenient time for further discussion. Bibles and literature explaining the Bible are made available, and if the householder desires, a home Bible study is conducted free of charge. Millions of these helpful Bible studies are conducted regularly with individuals and families throughout the world."
If you don't want them to call on you again, tell them that you want to go on their DO NOT CALL list - I'm on it, although they did get me out of bed last weekend , they soon shove off when you tell them you're on the list!