View Single Post
Old 12-03-2008, 01:26   #22
blazey
God Member

Re: Should Homework Be Scrapped?

I used to love reading my school book, and I also agree with homework from a primary school age.

reason number 1 : it is never too early to be disciplined into deadlines and routine

reason number 2: it gives parents the opportunity to take part in their childrens education

reason number 3: it helps a child learn outside the classroom and communicate with their parents more about issues in the classroom.

I wasn't a huge fan of homework at high school I must admit, and I never did it, but I deeply wish that I had now because at college I wasn't disciplined enough at home to make myself work on my own initiative, and I still procrastinate over studying at uni.

I do however like to get my little sister to read to me, and whilst she doesn't have a love for it like I did, I think she does appreciate that someones has an interest at home, and she knows that by us nagging to listen to her reading or help with homework.

I think it's all very important, though it has to be a reasonable amount or it can be demoralizing. Maybe some things should just be made voluntary but have emphasis on rewards if you do decide to do the home work?
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote