Thread: World War II
View Single Post
Old 18-04-2004, 03:14   #23
jamesicus

Re: World War II

I now beg your indulgence, dear readers -- before I embark on my recollections of wartime Blackpool (to be followed by my other "non-local" wartime travel destinations: Manchester, Lytham St. Annes, Sheffield, London/Surrey and Derby) I would like to offer a prewar prelude ..........

I have many wonderful memories of Blackpool -- it holds a special place in my heart as my favorite holiday destination of all (not to mention the Saturday night excursions in the years immediately following the war). That is saying a lot, for I have lived and/or vacationed in some pretty exotic places throughout the years -- choice locations in Hawaii, Japan, Florida, California -- to mention just a few. For me, Blackpool beats them all!

During the Great Depression years of the 1930s just about every Lancashire family that could afford it (not that many had any spare money) went to Blackpool for holiday during wake's week. What great, happy, magical holidays they were -- the best of my life! The travel by those marvelous steam trains to get there was itself memorable -- I can still recall the excitement of seeing the engine approaching the station and the thrill of arriving at Blackpool Central!

Only the rich went on holiday outside of England -- France was the destination of choice for most -- the very rich went to America, Africa, India, the far East, et al.

Last edited by jamesicus; 30-01-2006 at 15:02. Reason: additions & deletions (due to being unsure of facts)
jamesicus is offline   Reply With Quote