Thread: Who remembers?
View Single Post
Old 23-03-2008, 12:10   #39
jambutty
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Who remembers?

The diving boards were not the problem katex but the stone steps were. I was diving down to get a penny from the bottom near the deep end steps when a couple of lads ‘bombed’ from the top board. The wash from the ‘bomb’ swept me into the steps and I cracked my head on them. I climbed out with blood pouring from my head and seeing stars and bright lights. The boiler room attendant patched me up and sent me home with the words, “You’ll need stitches lad” ringing in my ears. He was right - five in all.

Ah! Yes! The hair drier and the Brylcreem machine. Never used either. I saved my money for crisps or chips.

I went to St. Oswalds up to 1948 motherhubbard before going to the Accrington Secondary Technical School on Union Road in Ossy. Just across the road from the Palladium cinema.

Some of the miners from the pit used to use the “Slipper Baths” on their way home from work. Scaitcliffe pit didn’t have any showers.