View Single Post
Old 23-03-2008, 16:00   #77
Lilly
God Member

Re: Should Homework Be Scrapped?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
I'm sorry, but you can see the difference in the children whose parents sit and do their homework with them and the ones whose dont. I use to listen to th children reading their reading books and too many times you could tell that the child hadnt read at home. there were children that had been there 6 months and there was not one parental comment in the book. thats sad. If the parent is uninterested in what the child does for most of its time (33 hours a week.) then what does that teach the child? If mum or dad are not intereseted in their homework, why should they be? If mum or dad wont listen to them read then its not important is it? so why should they bother?

I have tried really hard to keep out of this argument!
You are right. Parental apathy is one of the biggest scourges of our schools today. Some parents seem to think that school is just free childminding. They don't seem to grasp the fact that they too need to put some effort into the child's learning.