Thread: Council Tax
View Single Post
Old 26-03-2008, 02:02   #15
claytonender

Re: Council Tax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr View Post
No, the BBC and national statistics websites. One example is my mum, a nurse, her pay has risen 51% in that time period

Anyone who was on the minimum wage in 1999 will be earning at least 50% more now, and they will be earning 60% more in October.

That isn't my main point however, my main point is that on average other councils have raised tax by 50% more than what Hyndburn residents are paying.
Whilst I appreciate that your mother is earning 51% more in 10years, she is in a profession that has national pay scales, and also nurses are at the top end of the pay rates for this area. )I know nurses feel that they are badly paid, but in comparison with lots of the working population of Hyndburn - they are well paid).

Surely you should know that national statistics are NATIONAL, have you obtained accurate statistics for Hyndburn.

I do feel that it is very unfair to use the minimum wage as an example of wage rates be raised. In 1999 (which was first implemented on 1/04/199) the minimum wage was £3.60 per hour and is now £5.52 an hour (from 1/10/07). But what you fail to take into consideration is that the vaste majority of workers in Hyndburn have fallen behind with pay rises. The pay differential between workers who earn just above the minimum wage and the minimum wage is being eroded every year. In October when the minimum wage is increased to £5.73 (21p an hour), there will not be a corresponding increase for other low paid workers. 5 years ago my husband was earning £1.00 an hour more than minimum wage, he now earns 20p an hour more than minimum wage (he is still working for the same company doing the same job).

I appreciate what your main point is however, but why did the Telegraph say Hyndburn was the most expensive council in the country?
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote