View Single Post
Old 15-04-2008, 14:52   #53
blazey
God Member

Re: mark speight died

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
While I will agree that the whole of the media world seem to revel in making stories out of so-called celebs and their drug habits....I think the mention of the Nuremberg Rallies falls into a different category altogether...were these not pure propaganda.

Mark Speight did not appear on TV and promote drug taking.....he promoted art and creativity, and this he did well.
He didn't ask for his private life to be made public......the media decided to take this decision for him....and once the decision was taken he resigned from his post as a childrens TV presenter.
This Man was a product of the 60s......aren't we in some way responsible for the attitudes that have grown up from those times....leading people to believe that they could have everything......and anything that gave pleasure or fun was OK???
Perhaps you have never got drunk and regretted it.....I know that I have.
Alcohol is a legally sanctioned drug, another mind altering substance...that does just as much damage to children and families......though this comment in no way suggests that I am in favour of recreational drug use....I'm not. I am just trying to provides some sensible perspective.
We are all at liberty to choose our 'demons'......and although Mark Speight was in the public eye...we didn't own him.

I also stand by my comment that there are families who are grieving from the results of this sad loss of life....and we should respect those who are dead, they cannot speak for themselves.
See this is the reason I suggest a teacher is fine as long as their private life isn't affecting their teaching abilities. I have been taught by people with problems with alcohol, and people who have admittedly taken drugs, but they have still provided me with the same, if not better, education than any other teacher.

Some of my favourite teachers have had problems, more with drink than drugs, but they're still amazing teachers. As a 'celebrity', you have the added burden of it all your personal life being made public, and they obviously don't ask for it, so I think you are spot on Margaret.

This story is sad, and it made me want to cry hearing it on the news. It's deeply saddening that anyone could be nasty enough to just call him a junkie when he was such an inspiring man. If the media hadn't reported he was on drugs, you would have never known from his TV career.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote