View Single Post
Old 28-04-2004, 08:32   #12
Ceejache

Unhappy Re: Football...but not as we knew it.....

Just found more from his statement (ESPNsoccernet) -

'We can't be satisfied with draws. (Modern Olympic Games founder) Pierre de Coubertin has said that the important thing was to take part, not to win. 'That's not true. In life you have a goal and in sport, too, you have a goal which you want to achieve.'

Blatter said he did not like the principle of extra time, which has led to many dramatic moments over the years.

'The fact that there is a duel over two games which is then decided after extra time is not quite fair,' he said.

'After 90 minutes of the return leg, the tie should go straight into penalties. Extra time is like a second home game for the home team.'

Blatter, whose mandate expires in 2007, did not rule out seeking a third term and suggested Franz Beckenbauer should run for the presidency of UEFA.

'His job as president of the 2006 World Cup (in Germany) ends after the finals,' Blatter said of Beckenbauer. 'Then will come the vote for the UEFA presidency. I believe he should run for that, even if Michel Platini has ambitions.

'I believe those who come from football should have a say in football.'

From what he said I can't figure if he means all competitive games or just two-legged knock-out affairs. Elsewhere in the interview he says that if football you have to accept and live with the uncertainty of refereeing mistakes - well footy fans also live with the fact that sometimes the secong leg is played away, it's part of the game, makes it more interesting. The home team will surely still have an advantage mentally when it comes down to penalties due to fans behind the goals trying to put 'em off, unless of course its taken at the end where the away fans are then they will have an unfair advantage - the only fair way I can see is one man from each team in the centre circle doing keepy-ups - but the crowd have to be quiet so as not to put the other guy off and that....Obviously you see how ridiculous it all can get if you start meddling.....

If he is indeed talking about all competitive games then why introduce draws into the American game this season then say this only two months later?! Just been on an American forum and they seem as exasperated as most over here concerning his comments, seems that a big reason most American sports fans don't like footy/soccer is because of the diving issue....so c'mon Blatter....sort this issue out....because it's an issue thats coming to a head all over the football world - and it's one that we shouldn't have to live with because it's cheating.

As far as taking part not being important but winning (paraphrasing) - "it's better to have played and lost than to have never played at all". I see the spirit of the game is alive and well within the corridors of power.....