Thread: mr britcliffe
View Single Post
Old 25-04-2008, 12:25   #40
MikeSz

Re: mr britcliffe

I think an area being 'run down' (and even the definition of 'run down' could be extended to include pretty much anything) is down to a number of factors and its a bit simplistic to try and blame the council. It depends on what you're talking about - if its a building who owns it, why its 'run down' in the first place and what it would take to fix it or deal with it if it cant be fixed. Of course things can always be done better, and that’s why debates are important rather than simply apportioning blame.

I think some important steps have been taken – parking is still free in Hyndburn, and that’s something that local businesses have made clear they want.

Unfortunately however, you cant force people to shop at a market – I travel the country quite a lot and regrettably lots of markets, some traditionally large ones are now struggling. I know Wolverhampton’s, despite having a large open market square, and being a statute defined market town, now only has about 1/5th of its market. Economic and commercial forces are large, complex and intertwined and are changing the way we shop. We also have changing work/life patterns which effect when and where people shop. I accept you may not like HBC and I’m not asking you to change you’re mind, just realise that you cant really blame HBC for people not shopping at the market anymore.

Cos it rocks!!!

"I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates (396-314 B.C.)
MikeSz is offline   Reply With Quote